Blackmagic Design ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
- Supports NTSC/PAL/HD/UltraHD 4K @ 10-bit
- Supports 4K Resolution Over SDI or HDMI
- 20 x 6G-SDI & 1 x HDMI Inputs
- Tri-Sync/Blackburst Ref. Sync Input
- 10 x Built-In Frame Synchronisers
The ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K from Blackmagic Design is a live event multi camera production switcher with 20 video inputs built into a 2RU chassis. Supporting NTSC/PAL/HD and Ultra HD 4K (3840x2160) video formats, the switcher connects to a wide range of cameras and sources, delivering a single programme stream in SD, HD, or Ultra HD video. All this is done live and in real time with no rendering required. The switcher features a reference video input for synchronising the switcher to other equipment using tri-level or blackburst sync. Each input also features its own frame synchroniser, which allows you to use cameras that do not feature Genlock as well as input video from computer sources.
The switcher provides 20 6G-SDI video inputs and one 4K HDMI input, which shares a channel with one of the 6G-SDI inputs. Outputs include three 6G-SDI Programme outputs, one HDMI Programme output, six 6G-SDI auxiliary outputs. All inputs and outputs are SD/HD/UHD switchable, with the exception of dedicated down-converted HD Programme output for monitoring UHD footage on an SDI-equipped HD monitor. Two independent multi-view outputs are available, in both SDI and HDMI, so you can monitor up to 16 cameras across two screens.
The switcher features luma and chroma keyers for real time effects and composites in Ultra HD, with 10-bit processing. Two downstream keyers allow you to use two graphics/logos/titles/lower thirds from up to twenty stored graphics in a wide variety of formats. Additionally, the switcher features a built-in SuperSource layer switcher which, in addition to the two full M/E's, keyers and DVE, provides an additional four independent DVE channels letting you re-size and position live cameras, video replays, broadcast graphics, and more.
A built-in 22-input audio mixer handles the embedded HDMI and SDI audio from the 20 active video inputs as well as audio from the balanced or unbalanced analogue audio inputs to provide you flexibility and creative audio options. Audio output is embedded in the SDI and HDMI stream, as well as available via balanced audio outputs. The control panels connect via the Ethernet port and provide control all the features of the switcher. Illuminated front panel buttons on the switcher allow you to locally select the aux output, while a 2-inch LCD screen built into the front of the unit allows you to see the aux output for instant confirmation of the correct output.
Either a Mac or PC running the included ATEM software controls the switcher's operation and settings. For those who like the feel of a physical control panel, the optional ATEM 1 M/E and 2 M/E Broadcast Panels can be used.
- The ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K switcher supports 4K Ultra HD video (3840 x 2160), which is four times the resolution of Full HD. The video format is set by the user and must be the same across each input, as the switcher cannot scale different input formats to match the project format.
- The switcher features 20 single link 6G-SDI and one HDMI 4K input, which allows you to connect SD/HD/Ultra HD and computer-based signals to the switcher. However, the HDMI input is shared with one of the SDI inputs, so you can only have a maximum of 20 inputs.
- The switcher takes reference video in for sync timing, either blackburst or tri-level sync, so that it can interface with other post production equipment.
- Each input incorporates its own frame synchroniser, which enables you to use cameras that do not have genlock capability or to input computer sources such as Keynote or PowerPoint Presentations.
- The switcher includes a built-in audio mixer for mixing and balancing embedded audio from all 20 video inputs as well as the two audio inputs, each with two channel support. This lets you manually mix sources or you can set mixer inputs to "audio follow video" so your audio crossfades as you switch between sources.
- The switcher features two programme outputs for the final video, delivering SD/HD/Ultra HD via three 6G-SDI port and one HDMI 4K connector.
- The switcher features six SDI auxiliary outputs capable of delivering the programme out feed with or without the downstream keyer effects in SD, HD and Ultra HD. Control of the Aux output is by front mounted panel buttons, and built-in LCD screen for immediate confirmation of the Aux output.
- Two independent multi-view outputs available via an SDI or HDMI connectors so you can see up to 16 cameras across two screens.
The ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K switcher features four built-in transitions.
- Cut: ATEM instantly changes from current programme source to the preview source precisely at the moment you hit the button. Cuts can be performed by directly selecting sources on the programme bus or more commonly by pressing the cut button to transition to the next source lined up on the preview bus.
- Mix: Dissolves from one image to another. You can programme a pre-set transition rate, or use the included software control panel or available hardware panels to manually transition from one shot to another.
- Dip: Is similar to the mix/dissolve, except it first it transitions to a colour/graphic or video source and then to the next shot.
- Wipe patterns: With 18 built-in wipe patterns, you can create over 100 different transitions, and the patterns can be inverted or softened and you can customise the colour of the border. You can also insert up to three live video streams into the borders.
Key Frameable Transitions
The built-in DVE allows you to create key frame based DVE moves, flying graphics and animated stingers.
- The switcher features four upstream keyers and a DVE, allowing you to layer live video, title, graphics and animation over live video. You can choose from chroma, luma, linear, and pattern keys at Ultra HD resolution with 10-bit processing.
- Two downstream keyers allow you to add graphics, lower thirds, titles and logos for a polished live production.
- The DVE allows you to create a picture-in-picture effect.
- The switcher features back lit front panel control buttons for manual control.
- The switcher uses an Ethernet connection to interface with control surfaces such as the optional ATEM 1 M/E and 2 M/E Broadcast Panels.
- You can also control the switcher by using the included ATEM Software Control software from a Mac or Windows computer over Ethernet. You can control all production settings of the switcher as well as directly import graphics from your computer into the switcher's media pool.
- You set the format for each project you are working on, from SD to HD to Ultra HD, selecting resolution and frame rate. This is accomplished by using either the included software for Mac/PC or via the ATEM 1 M/E or ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Panel.
- Using the Ethernet port on the switcher allows you to connect control surfaces directly to the switcher or you can control the switcher across a network.
- The switcher features a USB port that is used for software updates and to set the switcher's chassis IP address, which can only be done by using a computer running the ATEM Switcher Utility connected to the switcher's USB port.
- The switcher is 2RU in height and has built-in rack mount ears for mounting in a production road case or in a post production facility.
|Ultra HD Support||3840 x 2160p 23.98/24/25/29.97|
|HD Format Support||720p 50/59.94
|SD Format Support||NTSC: 525/29.97 - 4:3/16:9
PAL: 625/25 - 4:3/16:9
|HDMI Input Resolution Supported||Input resolutions for computer:
720 x 480i 59.94 Hz
720 x 576i 50 Hz
1280 x 720 50/59.94 Hz
1920 x 1080 50/59.94 Hz
3840 x 2160 23.98/24/25/29.97 Hz
Note: Also supported are: 24, 30, and 60 Hz inputs when switcher is in 23.98, 29.97, and 59.94 Hz formats respectively.
|SDI Compliance||SMPTE 259M, 292M|
|Video Inputs||20 x SDI (10-bit SD/HD/Ultra HD switchable)
1 x HDMI Type A (10-bit SD/HD/Ultra HD switchable)
2 Channel embedded audio for SDI and HDMI inputs
20 x Embedded audio via SDI or HDMI
2 x XLR
2 x RCA
Extra Audio Inputs
1 x XLR Timecode
1 x XLR Talkback
|Audio Output||SDI Audio Output
2 Channels embedded into SDI outputs
2 x XLR Programme
2 x XLR Montior
Extra Audio Outputs
1 x XLR Timecode
1 x XLR Talkback
|Sync Input||1 x SDI, Tri-Sync or Blackburst|
|Frame Synchroniser||20 x Internal frame synchronisers (all inputs)|
|Programme Output||3 x SDI (10-bit SD/HD/Ultra HD switchable)
1 x HDMI Type A (10-bit SD/HD/Ultra HD switchable)
1 x SDI (Ultra HD to HD downcoverted output)
|Preview Output||1 x SDI (10-bit SD/HD/Ultra HD switchable)|
|Auxiliary Output||6 x SDI (10-bit SD/HD/Ultra HD switchable)|
|Multi View Output||2 x SDI
2 x HDMI
|Multi View Output||1 x SDI
1 x HDMI
|Ethernet||1 x 10/100/1000 BaseT input. Allows direct connection between control panel and chassis, or via network|
|Tally Output||Added via Ethernet connection to Blackmagic Designed GPI and Tally Interface product (sold separately)|
|GPI||Added via Ethernet connection
Note: GPI and Tally Interface product are optional and are not included
|USB Interface||1x USB 2.0 port|
|Colour Space Conversion||Hardware based, real time|
|Processing Delay||<2 lines|
|Colour Space||REC 601
|Audio Mixer||22 input mixer (2 channels per input)
Level and Peak metering
Master gain control
Dedicated analogue outputs for monitoring
|Built-in Media Players|
|Channels||2 x per Media Player (fill and key)|
|Still Image Capacity||32 with fill and key|
2 with fill and key
Maximum Clip Length
Ultra HD: 180 frames
1080p/i: 720 frames
720p: 1600 frames
NTSC/PAL: 3600 frames
|Image File Formats||Still
PNG, TGA, BMP, GIF, JPEG, and TIFF
WAV, MP3, AIFF
|Display||Minimum monitor resolution: 1366 x 768|
|Number of Windows||2 Multi-view display with 10 x windows for:
16 x assignable displays
|Tally||Red for programme and green for preview indication
Note: Requires optional Blackmagic Design GPI and Tally interface product
|Window Source Labels||Yes|
|Front Panel Controls|
|Buttons||42 LED buttons for Aux switching|
|LCD Display||LCD display of Aux output|
|Compatibility||ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Panel (preferred)
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
|Software Compatibility||ATEM Software Control Panel
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later
Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 32/64-bit
Set via ATEM Software Control Panel, excluding ATEM chassis IP address which is set via the ATEM Switcher Utility connected via USB to chassis
|Keyers||4 x Upstream
2 x Downstream
7 x Linear/Luma
1 x Stinger
4 x Chroma
1 x DVE, with 3D borders and drop shadows
|Generators||7 x Pattern
2 x Colour
|Power Supply||2 x built-in power supply
110/240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
Note: IEC power cord required, not included
|Power Consumption||150 W|
|Operating Temperature||0 to 40°C|
|Storage Temperature||-20 to 60°C|
|Relative Humidity||0 to 90% non-condensing|
|Rack Size||2 RU|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||48.26 x 8.99 x 23.46 cm|