The AT4040 is intended for use in professional applications where remote power is available. It requires 48V DC phantom power, which may be provided by a mixer or console, or by a separate, in-line source such as the Audio-Technica AT8801 single channel and CP8506 four-channel phantom power supplies.
Output from the microphone’s XLRM-type connector is low impedance (Lo-Z) balanced. The signal appears across Pins 2 and 3; Pin 1 is ground (shield). Output phase is “Pin 2 hot” – positive acoustic pressure produces positive voltage at Pin 2.
To avoid phase cancellation and poor sound, all mic cables must be wired consistently: Pin 1-to-Pin 1, etc. An integral 80 Hz hi-pass filter provides easy switching from a flat
frequency response to a low-end roll-off. The high-pass position reduces the microphone’s sensitivity to popping in close vocal use.
It also reduces the pickup of low-frequency ambient noise (such as traffic, air-handling systems, etc.), room reverberation and mechanically-coupled vibrations.
In use, secure the cable to the mic stand or boom, leaving a slack loop at the mic. This will ensure the most effective shock isolation and reduce the possibility of accidentally pulling the microphone out of its mount.
Avoid leaving the microphone in the open sun or in areas where temperatures exceed 110° F (43° C) for extended periods. Extremely high humidity should also be avoided.
- Technically-advanced large diaphragm tensioned specifically to provide smooth, natural sonic characteristics
- Exceptionally low noise, wide dynamic range and high-SPL capability for greatest versatility
- Transformerless circuitry virtually eliminates low-frequency distortion and provides superior correlation of high-speed transients
- Precision-machined, nickel-plated brass, acoustic element baffle provides enhanced element stability and optimal sensitivity
- State-of-the-art surface-mount electronics ensure compliance with A-T’s stringent consistency and reliability standards
- Element: Externally-polarized (DC bias) condenser
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
- Low Frequency Roll-Off: 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: –32 dB (25.1 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa*
- Impendance: 100 ohms
- Maximum Imput Sound Level: 145 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.; 155 dB SPL, with 10 dB
- Noise: 12 dB SPL
Dynamic Range (typical): 133 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 82 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa*
- Phantom Power Requirements: 48V DC, 4.2 mA typical
- Switches: Flat, roll-off; 10 dB pad (nominal)
- Weight: (less accessories) 12.7 oz (360 g)
- Dimensions: 6.69" (170.0 mm) long, 2.10" (53.4 mm) maximum body diameter
- Output Connector: Integral 3-pin XLRM-type
- Accessories Furnished: AT8449 shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands; microphone dust cover; protective carrying case